Wednesday 3 October 2012

Out and About... Calke Abbey

As we're off work for two weeks we took the opportunity of heading north for forty minutes to Calke Abbey (pronounced Cork) just over the county border in Derbyshire.  I've been there before but David hadn't, and after he'd been bribed with coffee and a cookie and recovered from getting up early he really enjoyed it.  We had great weather in the morning and spent an enjoyable few hours lurking in the grounds taking a lot of photos.  For shots of the Abbey itself see last October's post when I went off exploring by myself for the day (David had a BIG THING ON HIS LIP going on then and couldn't leave the house).

Love my wide-angle lens so much - it gives great warp...
This is part of the very long Drive up to the house.

Dhalia
Is it a Dhalia?
I think it's a Dhalia, we'll say that it is...

Calke Abbey
A few shots taken around the buildings...

Calke Abbey


Calke Abbey


David
David almost smiling...

Thomas Hardy Sign
Last year it was Edward Thomas,
this year they had my man TH...
I may have to have a poetry chalk board
in my own garden now
(even if it's only the cats and any passing literate slugs who would see it).

Wicker man
From the sublime to the...
well it just had to be done.
David's impression of The Wicker Man...

Pumpkin 2


Pumpkin
And just because it wouldn't be October
without pumpkins...

6 comments:

Kmcblackburn said...

Love that wide-angle lens......swooning here!

Barbara said...

Lovely shots for fall. I like the idea of the poetry blackboard, but I don't think our slugs are literate. :D

Gattina said...

Nice place and what a big pumpkin ! This year I haven't seen many, I wonder if it is due to the bad weather this "summer"! I also made a nice walk on Sunday here

Gattina said...

the link doesn't work !
it's http://gattinatravels.blogspot.com/

Laloofah said...

Wonderful photos (as always!) Love the stunning Dahlia (looks like one to me, too!) and the B&W shot of the open doors with the sun shining in. Got a chuckle over David's impersonation of the Wicker Man - and good grief, was that a year ago already that he was in self-imposed seclusion because of the cyst on his nose? In some ways it seems longer ago, and in others - a YEAR already?! Time sure can play mind games.

I adore your fantastic pumpkin photos, they're my favorite of the bunch. I think the first pumpkin represents David this year, out in the light and the sun and the world, and the other pumpkin represents him last year, hiding in the shadows beneath a leaf. Glad you got to go out and have fun, and that you're enjoying your fortnight of time off! Whoo-hoo!

William Kendall said...

It looks very, very peaceful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...