Thursday 2 December 2010

The new Royal Shakespeare Theatre...

Went to the members' preview evening at the RSC last night, had a chance to take a good look around the new building which I like very much.  Antony Sher and Richard McCabe (amongst others) appeared on stage in a short masque, with Antony Sher giving Prospero's final speech from The Tempest at the end of it.  It was almost worth falling over on the ice and hurting my hip and thumb to get there (thank you Stratford Town Council!!!).  The lighting wasn't very good for photography (the light in the downstairs bar was reminiscent of a scene from Dante's Inferno) but I got a few pictures.

Words and images from the plays were projected onto the walls... 


 Looking down the staircase onto the fountain...

The covered walkway from the RST to The Swan... 

Inside The Swan... 



I did like these balconies in the RST - great views 


Inside the new RST

4 comments:

Carol said...

why does life look better in black & white sometimes?

jabblog said...

Very impressive photos. Hope your hip and thumb are not too sore.

Barbara said...

I'm fine thanks, just a bit stiff. Carol, I've often wondered that myself!

Barbara said...

Black and white is perfect for this building which even looks Shakespearean with the curving staircases, balconies, wide hallways, etc. I would so love to attend a performance there. Thanks for showing us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...