Thursday 23 February 2012

Poetic Winter...



Poetic Winter Photography Challenge


People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
Anton Chekhov


Ten thousand flowers in spring
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer,
snow in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things,
this is the best season of your life.
Wu-men


When we are unable to find tranquility within ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere.
Francois de la Rochefoucauld


Calm in quietude is not real calm.  When you can be calm in the midst of activity, this is the true state of nature.  Happiness in comfort is not real happiness.  When you can be happy in the midst of hardship, then you see the true potential of the mind.
Huanchu Daoren




Calm... it's usually how I start the day when it's just me, some tea, maybe my camera, and an affectionate cat or two close by.  It's also the thing I probably find hardest to hang on to as the day progresses... The quotes I sought out when I was putting this post together did make me take a step back and think - because it's true that when your mind is calm it doesn't matter what's going on that you can't control, what the season is, or what other people are doing.  It all really is a state of mind...

Tea and photography - my ideal recipe for early morning calm...





13 comments:

Tezzie said...

Oh, so pretty...and perfectly calm. Beautiful post <3

Alita said...

Oh I adore the soft pink color palette of this calm post. Just so pretty!

tiarastantrums said...

the cutest tea post ever!

Barbara said...

My favorite word, my mantra of sorts, is serenity. These photographs with their soft colors and simple settings say to me "serenity."

Seeing Each Day said...

Love the softness as a result, calmness, in all these shots.

Rune Eide said...

You see a subject in everything and utilizes the result very well. Very fragile and tender.

Unknown said...

you truly found some amazing quotes! your photos are so lovely. i adore the softness and calm you captured in these photos!

Laloofah said...

I love all those quotes, which are all wonderful reminders, but my favorite is the second one. How true! (And given your most recent post about people whining about the weather, I'd say it's indicative of minds that are "mostly cloudy" if not downright overcast!)

As for your beautiful, softly soothing photos, "Barbara II" is spot on - they express a gentle feeling of calm serenity perfectly. I know how impossible it can seem to carry those feelings of inner peace and harmony through a hectic, demanding day, but to at least be able to begin a day with such tranquility is a gift, and you have an ideal recipe for it.

You have the BEST teapots and cups I've ever seen, by the way - and those luscious pink blossoms! (Cherry blossoms?) Where did you find them? I want them in every room of my house! :-)

Barbara said...

Thank you all :O) Serenity is something I sorely lack - which vexes me intensely!

Laloofah - teapot and cups courtesy of Lakeland :O) And the flowers are artificial sweet peas (I think - remember I am horticulturally challenged!) from Dunelm Mill and cost about £3.60 for the lot - bargain! I went out searching for flowers that would colour co-ordinate with my cups and blue jug especially for these photos. Dedicated or what?!?

Laloofah said...

You chose your flowers perfectly! And I would never have guessed from your photos that they aren't real!

I really love that cup with the blue hearts on it. The little flare at the base of the mug is delightful, along with the colors and design.

Unknown said...

beautiful photo series, just love this!

alicia said...

Love these soft, muted tones... and that 3rd quote really speaks to my heart. Thanks so much for participating in our poetic winter challenge!

Kristi Bonney said...

Barbara, that last photo is just lovely! Thanks so much for joining us in the Poetic Winter Photo Challenge. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...