Monday 13 June 2011

It's Monday, what are you reading?


Just discovered this meme over at the fab Book Journey.  I am a sucker for reading about what other people read so couldn't resist.

I've just read Angelology (how annoying is that word?) by Danielle Trussoni, about a race of angel/human hybrids called the Nephilim and the humans (or Angelologists) who oppose them in their dastardly plans.  There are also fallen angels in there along with an artefact of great power that various people are after.  Despite my reservations about reading this I did enjoy the story, and it was hard to put down even though I knew I should.  It was akin to eating a large bar of chocolate, knowing I should stop or I'd feel sick at the end but unable to stop my hand reaching for the next piece.  There is a distinct lack of anyone resembling a real character in this, and some plot developments that have such large holes in it's amazing someone hasn't fallen through into a different book.  It is also much too long and could have done with a good edit (or even a bad one).  However, if you want a plot-driven, easy-read and can enjoy it for what it is then give it a go.

Wanting something a little less light and fluffy I have now picked up S J Parris's Heresy about murders in Elizabethan Oxford at a time when to be the wrong religion could have deadly consequences.  The period is fascinating and I'm quite enjoying the book, but C J Samsom is a much better writer and if you fancy delving into England's murky religious past then I'd recommend those as a starting place.

5 comments:

♥ Liz ♥ said...

I've just started C J Sansom's Revelation and I'm hoping it's as good as the other three. The problem is I just need to find time to sit and read.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love your page it is so nice - hope you have a great reading week :D

Barbara said...

Revelation is wonderful Liz - an Elizabethan serial killer! Young1 - thank you so much, have a great one yourself.

Anonymous said...

Well, I won't be reading Angelology, that's for sure, but I endorse what you say about CJ Sansom. My cousin and her husband recommended his books to me (the people in my 365 Days Flickr picture for 11th June) and John and I LOVE them. I'm keeping the last as a treat in store, but he's read them all. Wondefully evocative and exciting!

Penny

Barbara said...

Just realised I typed 'Elizabethan' instead of 'Tudor' in my reply to Liz, tsk tsk!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...