Tuesday 23 November 2010

S is for...

...Stratford upon Avon.

Set on the banks of the Avon in beautiful rural Warwickshire, Stratford is only forty minutes from where I live and a frequent destination for me when I'm not doing necessary things like working.  Birthplace, of course, of Shakespeare and home to the Royal Shakespeare Company, it is therefore a tourist magnet and best avoided at weekends and holidays if you value your sanity.  I like it best in the winter, or early in the morning when I feel as if I have the place to myself.  I have spent many happy hours wandering along the banks of the river, or sitting watching the world go by in a cafe, and of course watching plays in the theatre.  I have seen Patrick Stewart and David Tennant in Hamlet (it seemed that the whole world and its dog descended on Stratford that season), rather more of Ian McKewan than I wanted when he dropped his trousers and underwear in King Lear (I still don't think I've recovered completely from the shock), and laughed until I cried at The Beggars' Opera.  One Christmas we even had the cast of Coriolanus standing in the foyer singing Christmas carols to us still covered in blood etc from the play...  surreal to say the least.  I am very excited as the new theatre opens on the 24th November and David and I are off to a special member's preview evening next week.  Anyway, these are just a few images from one of my favourite places.

This has been the temporary home of the RSC for the last three years
whilst the old theatre was renovated...

...this is the new RST... (point of interest - the ashes of the late
Ian Richardson are buried in the foundations)

and this is a view of the new theatre along the Avon from Holy Trinity Church..

Sometimes it rains...

... a lot

... and sometimes it's as sunny and golden as only an autumn
morning in England can be...

...I think it's about time they got some new Christmas lights,
but it still looks pretty anyway...









19 comments:

photowannabe said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely. How wonderful to see the plays where they got their start.

Carolyn Ford said...

Oh, one of my favorite places as well. It's been a long time since I have been there but, the memories remain. This place will certainly have the Christmas spirit in the days to come...enjoy! And, enjoy the opening of the new theatre as well...how special.

Sylvia K said...

Fantastic post for the S Day, Barbara!! And such gorgeous captures! I've always wanted to attend a play there! One of those dreams of a lifetime! Hope you have a wonderful week!

Sylvia

Gigi Ann said...

Wonderful pictures of Stafford upon Avon. They are lovely.

Cezar and Léia said...

Magnificent set of pictures!My daughter and son have visited Stafford upon Avon last July, thanks for sharing your pictures!I hope have the opportunity to visit there soon ! :)
Hugs
Léia

Gerald (SK14) said...

Love the seagulls on the flooded bench!

Reader Wil said...

Barbara! I am glad I visited your blog! I love Warwickshire and Stratford is both marvellous and steeped in history. So King Lear can make people laugh? That's great, most of the time it's very serious. I have seen many plays of William Shakespeare, a lot of them pretty bloody.

Roger Owen Green said...

I LIKE the old lights, actually.

Interesting about the new theater, or theatre.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team.

VioletSky said...

I have always wanted to visit the 'other' Stratford. (we have one in Ontario, with its own Shakespeare Festival) But I am really envious of you seeing Hamlet! I saw it on television and was throrougly entranced.

Tumblewords: said...

Wonderful S post - your photography is superb!

EG CameraGirl said...

Lucky you to live so close to such a fabulous place!

Leslie: said...

I have visited there twice and would love to go back again. It look spectacular set up for Christmas! Such a beautiful little city. :D

Yoshi said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I guess this is my first time to visit your BEAUTIFUL blog. B&W images are stunning. New theatre opening sounds great.
I also enjoyed pictures of your cat. We have two, too and just started having another blog to post only pictures of cats. If you are curious, please come take a look.
I should be definitely following your blog from now on!!
Have a nice day.

Hildred said...

Interesting post and beautiful pictures. I love the black and whites.

MaR said...

What a lovely place and interesting post!! love the seagulls on the bench!
S is for Santa

Barbara said...

Beautiful pictures that take me back to Stratford-upon-Avon. We were there on a gorgeous early fall day when of course everyone and his great-aunt were also there but enjoyed it tremendously anyway. Someday hopefully I'll return.

Beverley Baird said...

Love these photos of Stratford! We have a Stratford here in Ontario and it is about an hour and a half awaY I love to go and see plays there and walkalong the river.

Jama said...

What a lovely little place!

quiltcat said...

Wow, how cool to live near the real Stratford! The new theatre looks very interesting, and i think it's wonderful that Sir Ian Richardson is part of its foundation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...