Saturday 22 June 2013

Sometimes...

Sometimes I just want to be by myself with my camera so I get in the car and see where the road takes me.  Yesterday it took me to Calke Abbey in Derbyshire - I love that place. If I had acres of garden I would want it to be like Calke's; a tended wilderness with unexpected paths and overgrown meadows full of wild flowers. I don't like gardens that look regimented, I like them to look as if they had been designed by nature and could revert to a wild state at any moment.  I'd also want a kitchen garden like theirs with beds of pumpkins and cabbage, fruit trees full of buzzing bees, and a well-dressed scarecrow overseeing it all.  I can but dream...





















3 comments:

jabblog said...

What a gorgeous place. The scarecrow is impeccably dressed. The deer are wonderful - we only see roe deer in our forests but even they cause a thrill. As for gardens almost reverting to Nature - our garden's like that but it doesn't compare to Calke Abbey;-)

Barbara said...

Thanks - it is a lovely place to visit. I try to capture the essence of Calke by not mowing the lawn in our very small garden too often :O))

William Kendall said...

Looks like a lovely area. I got a kick out of the scarecrow. And the deer are of course different from the ones we get on this side of the pond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...